Thursday, April 7, 2011
Aratikaya Vepudu (Raw Banana Fry)
Arati Kaya fry takes minimal efforts to do but lot of time. This curry is eaten as a side for sambhar rice or curd rice, I personally do not eat this with rice but just eat it like chips. While peeling the skin off form the raw banana, your hand goes black, in order to avoid this, spread some oil while scraping the skin off. Also, cut this into small and regular prices meaning all of them are of the same size which means it takes the same heat for each piece to get cooked.Like, I said its very easy and doesn't include many ingredients, all that matters is you have to keep stirring so that every piece gets cooked evenly.There is another way of cooking this, which is by boiling this first and frying it, I find this way must tastier than the former.
2 Raw Banana (Arati kaya)
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp urad dal
chilly (mirchi) powder
1. Firstly, scrap the raw banana, peel of the skin and cut them into small regular pieces.
2. Heat a pan, add about 3-4 tsp of oil, this is required as you have 2 raw banana's and it would take some extra amount of oil for it to get cooked.
3. After the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds and urad dal. Let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal change its color. The real taste comes when the urad dal is fried for sometime. This combination of urad dal and raw banana is yum.
4. Now, add the chopped raw banana to this and add the salt accordingly. Do not add the chilly powder now, add this 5 minutes before removing from the heat.
5. Stir fry the raw banana on medium flame probably for about 25 minutes or till done. Keep checking the cooking levels in between.
6. Lastly, add the chilly powder and mix it well and remove it from flame.
Posted by ANU at 3:27 PM