Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Bendakaya(okra) pappulusu is my mother's recipe. I just love the way she makes this. I tried a couple of times and only after which I was successful to get the exact same taste of how she used to make it. I just made it last night for our dinner and enjoyed it with rice and papad. Lets see how to make this
1/4 kg Okra (Bendakaya)
2-3 green chilly
3/4 cup toor dal
1 tsp coriander powder
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp chilly powder (optional)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
pinch of asafoetida
2 red chilly
1.Firstly, pressure cook the toor dal with 2 cups of water for 2-3 whistles and keep this aside.
2. When using tamarind paste, soak tamarind in water at least 3-4 hrs before cooking, so that you get the tangy taste. You could even microwave it for a minute before using the pulp in the curry.
3. Now, take a pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil, let it heat for a minute and then add all the seasoning ingredients one by one. Let the mustard splutter otherwise it would taste sour.
4. Now add the chopped onions,2 green chilly and fry it till the onions turn brown. Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry it for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Next, add the tamarind pulp to this. Meanwhile, cut the okra lengthwise than into cubes.This way of cutting the okra induces a different taste to the pulusu.
5. Add the okra to the boiling mixture and let it boil for atleast 15 minutes. Now add the salt, 1 tsp coriander powder and chilly powder. Check for the salt levels and spice levels and adjust here accordingly. Remember you still have the dal to add, when you add the dal, the levels might change again.
6. Lastly, add the mashed dal to this and cook it alltogether for 5 minutes till it comes to a boil and nicely done. You could adjust the salt and spice levels after the dal is added.
Enjoy this with rice and papad !
Posted by ANU at 10:46 AM