Tuesday, April 5, 2011
There are many ways to do sweet pongal and different consistencies yield different results. I tried this sweet pongal in the easiest and fastest way. Usually, you cook the rice and moong dal in the milk, which would take about 45 minutes or so for it to get cooked, but I cooked these two separately in pressure cooker till nicely done. Lets see how to make this and what we need to make this.
3/4 cup rice
1/2 cup moong dal (pesarpappu)
31/2 cups water
2-3 cups milk
1/2 cup ghee
2-3 cardamom seeds
1. Pressure cook 3/4 cup pf rice, 1/2 cup of moong dal and 31/2 cups of water till 2-3 whistles, till its nicely done.
2. Now, heat ghee in a pan and fry the cashews,raisins and almonds and keep this aside.
3. Heat 2-3 cups of milk, now the amount of milk used is again according to your consistency, I usually prefer the pongal to be in the semi-liquid form a little higher on the liquid form, so I used about 31/2 cups of milk, just in case you like it to be solid, then you can reduce the quantity of milk.
4. Break the cardamom seeds and add this to the milk, mix the cooked rice-moong dal and stir it. Add the jaggery to this and stir it for 15 minutes. After adding jaggery this becomes more diluted, so make sure your pongal consistency doesnt get too watery.
5. After it is done, top it with the fried dry fruits and ghee!
Posted by ANU at 9:29 AM