Monday, November 8, 2010

Dosakaya pachadi



I have already mentioned my inclination towards Dosakaya in the recipe dosakaya pappu, I made dosakaya pachadi last weekend. I like the consistency to be a little watery, but you could change it with the amount of water you add while grinding. This is great with idli's/dosa's or upma or Fried rice. Yes, I love it with fried rice. Last saturday,we came home pretty late and were very hungry & tired and yet wanted to eat tasty food, so all I could think of was Fried Rice and yummy dosakaya pachadi. This is quick, easy and a tasty combo. I will display the fried rice recipe as well in my next post, but lets quickly see how to make this yummy spicy dosakaya pachadi. Why I say spicy is because, the fried rice is normally mild in spice levels, so I make the dosakaya pachadi more spicy to have a good combination.
There are multiple different methods to make this pachadi, but I follow a pretty simple one, which is less time & energy consuming. The credit for this recipe goes to my Pedatha, who taught me how to make tomato pachadi and I used the same procedure to make dosakaya pachadi.

Ingredients:

1 medium sized Dosakaya
1-2 green chillies
1 red chilly
1 tsp mustard seeds
11/2 tsp oil
2 garlic cloves
pinch of asafoetida
salt (accordingly)

Method:

1.First, peel of the outer skin of dosakaya, and finely chop it into pieces. Remove the inner seeds. TIP: I remember my mom saying, these seeds were good if applied on the face, its like a natural face mask, I never tried it, but will try it and then update the results here...

2.Now, in a pan, heat about 11/2 tsp oil and add the mustard seeds. Wait till they crack and add the finely chopped garlic,green chilly and red chilly and pinch of asafoetida.

3.Then add the chopped dosakaya pieces and fry them on medium heat for about 5 mins.

4.Now remove them from flame, and let it cool for a while and add salt according to the taste and grind it into a fine paste.Add water if you want it to be a little watery.

This is one way which is easy and quick when running short of time! We had a ball last saturday with Fried rice, dosakaya pachadi and dadojanam. This was more than enough to enjoy a wonderful dinner.
+1 (IDEA)
If you don't want it to be spicy, just add only the red chilly and don't include the green chillies. The garlic gives the taste for this recipe, so make sure you add them good in accordance to the quantity of dosakaya pieces.

No comments: